If you cannot afford a lawyer, the resources below may be able to assist you. If you need further assistance, call the NYSBA Lawyer Referral and Information Service at 1-800-342-3661.
New York's free legal information resources
- https://ny.freelegalanswers.org/ This is an online resource where you can post a legal question and a lawyer will answer your question for no cost. The site does provide you with an attorney to represent you, rather it provides brief legal advice and assistance. Free Legal Answers cannot assist you with criminal matters, immediate court dates, or if you are currently in jail.
- www.LawHelpNY.org is New York's free legal information website. There, you can access free information about a variety of legal issues. Under “Find a Lawyer,” you can enter your county and the type of legal issue you have to access a directory of free legal service providers who may be able to assist you.
- For a directory of local statewide social service agencies, go to http://ocfs.ny.gov/main/localdss.asp
- If you are a victim of domestic violence,
- You can call the New York State Domestic Violence 24 Hour Hotline (English & español/Multi-language accessibility): 1-800-942-6906 or 711 for Deaf or Hard of Hearing
- You can access the New York State Domestic Violence Program Directory